
OK...I know this is a really cruddy picture of me (Olga looks great) but I'm going to post it anyway because it was taken at yesterday's NY Marathon Expo.
I'm finally here in NY. I didn't think I would have time to post anything else before the marathon but since I'm staying off my feet, my hotel has free wifi, and there's absolutely nothing on TV, I guess I'll write.
Olga and I got in yesterday about 1:00 pm. We checked in and went straight to the Expo. It was so exciting! I even got to meet Grete Waitz, a nine time NY marathon champion. I picked up my bib. I'm number F4617. The "F" stands for fast, or at least that's what I'm telling myself. I'm sure I'll come up with a number of other words (or maybe just one) that the "F" stands for around mile 20 of the race.
Last night Olga and I went to my Team for Kids dinner at the National Track and Field Hall of Fame. The TFK coaches walked us through a huge map of the marathon course, which instead of getting me excited, really just freaked me out. I've done this race before. I should know what to expect. But when they started to talk about the bridges and the hills, I almost had a carbo purge.
Our hotel is...well...interesting. The location is great...just a block from Times Square. The people on our floor are very quiet, which is unfortunately negated by the fact that the heating and cooling unit for the entire city of Manhattan is right outside our window. It turns on every two to three minutes, and sounds much like the space shuttle, if you were strapped to it during flight. Last night I shoved ear plugs into my ears and cradled a pillow around my head and I still think I might have permanent hearing loss.
Today, I am trying my hardest to do nothing, which actually isn't that hard, and is even somewhat enjoyable. I love Manhattan, and while exploring this city would be high on my list of fun things to do, forced bed rest is amazingly almost as exciting. I don't think I've stayed off my feet this long since my kids were born. I'm only getting up to use the bathroom, which is quite often considering the fact that I am also attempting to hydro-load. I'm not sure if this is possible, but I'm giving it a shot.
I have enough nervous energy to write for hours, but in the best interest of my bored readers, I will retire this keyboard until after the marathon. This IS my last posting before I run tomorrow. I think.

No comments:
Post a Comment