
I'm not quite sure which mile marker this photo was taken at, but it's quite clear from the look on my face that I was already in some amount of pain. The race photos are finally in, and since I couldn't decide on which one to purchase, I went ahead and bought the entire photo cd, so I could remember what the race looked like from each phase of discomfort. My favorite photo is this one...

It was taken within a minute of me finishing the race. About 30 seconds later I was hauled off to the medical tent to have salt poured down my throat and my legs lifted over my head. It's nice to know I can still eek out a smile when I'm that close to death.
But enough about the race. It's over! Surprisingly, I have not developed a horrible case of post marathon depression, so common after someone devotes a huge portion of their life to an event and it's suddenly over. In fact, I'm really happy. I haven't run in the last two weeks. Supposedly this should rejuvenate my running. We'll see about that. I hop back on the dreadmill for an easy three miles tomorrow.
Instead of pounding pavement I've found a few other ways to work up a sweat. I started lifting weights again, something I haven't done in the last year and still HATE. I've done the stair climber twice, after a six year layoff. I've done the bike twice. I did one pool run. I walked for an hour in Denver with my friend Joelle. And I did a fifty five minute power walk on the treadmill at a 15% incline. I was surprised at how hard this was. I was able to get my heart rate up into the high 150s and I was out of breath and struggling the entire time. I'll never knock walking again.
Right after the marathon I swore I would never do another one, but since then I've been on the LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon website twice. I think I'm going to sign up to run next October. Don't worry I won't be asking anyone for money. I will, however, be asking if anyone would like to join me. We could split a hotel and trade training tips. Let me know if you're interested.
Unfortunately, I don't think I will be able to draw out my training enough to write about it in every posting over the next year. Instead, I've decided to broaden the focus of my blog. From now on I will not only talk about running and exercising, but also about tv, movies, writing, raising kids, pop culture, and whatever else I can come up with. I'll also be taking requests. So let me know if there's any subject you'd like me to cover. Until I think of something else to write about, remember, it's less than 11 months until the 2007 LaSalle Bank Chicago Marathon!


Here's a few more phases of pain, and a shot of me crossing the finish line!

No comments:
Post a Comment