Tuesday, August 01, 2006


Last week I met with a personal trainer to get some tips on how to improve my running performance. I learned that while my abs are incredibly weak, I have the added bonus of a back that is even weaker. She taught me all of these exercises to improve my core strength (abs and back) with one of those big exercise balls. It was amazing. My abs still hurt. Today I joined the ranks of every housewife in America and bought one of those big balls for myself. Because of my lack of coordination, I probably look like a total goob rolling around on that thing, but if it makes me stronger, I'll do it. (NO, I won't be posting pictures).

Speaking of looking like a total goob, I also did some running in the swimming pool today. It's all the craze with the over 80 set. I wrapped one of those foam belts around my waist and flailed my arms and legs for an hour with my friend Joelle (who for some reason looked much cuter than I did during the flail). Little kids were pointing, staring, and laughing. Did I mention I also broke my heart rate monitor in the process? I thought it was supposed to be water resistant to 10 meters. Did they mean 10 millimeters? The instant I hit the water the thing started speaking Russian. Then it died. Does this mean I get to go shopping? Hmmm...potential blessing in disguise.

I also hit the $1,000 dollar mark in my fund raising today. I only need to raise $1,500 more to guarantee my marathon entry. I'm feeling really good about all of the support I'm getting.

But the biggest thing I did today involved Rush (my 14-month-old) I started the weaning process. I cut out one of his five daily feedings. He's taking it pretty well so far. To be honest, I don't think he noticed. But next week when I start cutting the pre nap feedings he's going to be pretty peeved. (Wait...is this too much information? Maybe I shouldn't be admitting I'm still breast feeding a 14-month-old. Too late now) I have until I leave for the marathon to get him off the mom and on the cow or it's going to be a very long weekend. I don't know if this whole marathon thing is going to be tougher for me or Rush. Maybe he'll talk about it in his blog. I'll post the link as soon as he learns to write.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kim

Sounds like your training is torture. I watch folks using the ball at The Pulse and it always brings me a smile. Grown women rolling around on a ball looks a bit strange.

I will send in my contribution today. Meant to give you a check this past weekend and it totaly slipped my mind.

Keep up the training.

Love,

Dad