
I wish I could say that Rush looks this unhappy because I'm weaning him. The truth is, I cut out three feedings today and he could care less. I guess it's mom who needs to be weaned more than baby. Anyway, at this rate I have one (maybe two) more weeks of breastfeeding left. I should have posted a picture of me crying.
But, on a much happier note, I'm almost done fund raising. Only $339 left to go (a special thank you to everyone who read my blog and donated last week). So, if you haven't donated yet, just know that you could be the one who pushes me over the $2,500 mark. Just click on the link to the right.
Last Thursday I did my longest run in the last six years, a 13-miler. I'm definitely feeling older than I did back in 2000. My hips and knees started aching about five miles into the run. Cardio-wise I felt like I could go forever, but my body has a hard time with the pounding now. I'm sure it doesn't help that I do most of my runs on the treadmill, and this one was on pavement. Hopefully, the runs will get easier as I do more outside running.
But the biggest news is that I set a personal record at a race yesterday. It was called the RYKA Iron Girl 5 miler. I did it because I wanted a t-shirt that said "Iron Girl" (secretly hoping people might mistake it for Iron Man - who doesn't want people to think they've done an Iron Man?). Anyway, I ran it in 38:28 (a 7:41 pace). I ended up placing fourth in my age group. That's by far the fastest I've ever run. I felt like I was going to die during the race and when I finished I was so dizzy and nauseated I thought I'd never eat again. Thankfully, the feeling passed. I won't mention how many calories I've packed in since.
I felt good about my time, but it was kind of depressing to watch women blaze by me, running the entire race at a pace that's faster than I can sprint for 40 yards. Those women are amazing. I know because one of them started screaming at me when I took a wrong turn. I almost missed an entire half-mile section of the course, and this woman was quick to point out my mistake, not in a friendly kind of way, but in a "if you don't turn around right now I'm going to beat your ass" kind of way. Wow...competitive athletes are...um...competitive. I apologized profusely as I turned around to get back on course, but she was already gone, her pink hot pant shorts leaving a trail of smoke. I may never win a race, but I'll also never wear pink hot pant shorts. Which is sadder? You be the judge.

3 comments:
Kim, great B-blog!! I love reading about how your doing, and it inspires me as I train. I linked your site on my blog, so go check it out!! http://alexsmarathon.blogspot.com/
See ya in NYC!!!!
Kim, keep up the great work!! I love your b-log, and you story inspires me as I train all the way in Texas. I linked your blog on my own, so go check it out.
See you in NYC!!
Hey Kim,
I'm a fellow TFKer in NYC and I am just now getting back to your message posting regarding your blog. I saw it when you originally posted it but unfortunately wth my two little ones (not soo little, 3 and 4) I am just now trying to set my own blog up.
Your is very cool; i especially related to your weaning comments; unfortunately not so much your incredible pace (i'm a 10:30er). You go, girl!
thanks for the help...
hope it helps!!
Elizabeth
Post a Comment