
It’s been a week and a half since I’ve written a real post (other than last week’s poem). I haven’t been out of town. And because I’m in the middle of my taper, I haven’t been too busy either. The truth… I was too petrified to write.
OK…here’s the story. A little less than two weeks ago (the Tuesday before my 22-miler to be exact) I went swimming. While I was walking around barefoot at the pool I noticed a very slight pain on the top of my left foot. I didn’t think much of it. When I pushed on it, I felt like I was pushing on a bruise. I tried to think back. Did someone step on me? Did I drop something on my foot? Did I kick a wall? It didn’t really even enter my mind that it could be running related. I was slightly worried about the 22-miler coming up in two days, but not too much.
I did the run on Thursday, October 12th. About 11 miles in my foot started to hurt a tad, but again, it sort of just felt like a bruise. Other than that the 22-miler went pretty well. I ran 9:20s most of the way. I finished in 3:28. Mentally it was a bit tough running 22 miles all by myself. I got a little bored (even though I had my I-pod). Afterwards I was pretty tired, and my foot was moderately sore.
The next day my foot felt thoroughly bruised, so much so that I decided to wear an open topped Mary Jane shoe that wouldn’t push on the sore spot. Again, it wasn’t too bad, just a little banged up. That night I mentioned it to Rob (who’s a doc so I listen to him) and he said it could be a stress fracture. WHAT??? A STRESS FRACTURE??? I didn’t respond well (had a bad case of blame the messenger I guess).
That night I was so worried that I couldn’t sleep. I got on-line and read everything I could about stress fractures of the foot. Oh my God…could this be true? Did I really have a stress fracture? I seemed to have every symptom. I was completely devastated. How could this be.? Three months of training down the drain!!!
I told myself I would not run until the marathon. I would spend the next three weeks of my taper in the pool letting things heal. I told Rob to not even let me try to bring my running shoes to Aspen on our vacation. That way I couldn’t cheat and go out for a run out of pure stupidity.
I took that Saturday completely off. I did a pool run on Sunday. I took some ibuprofen over the weekend. I did an hour on the bike on Monday. I iced a few times a day. By Monday night, I felt completely better. If I pushed on my left foot REALLY hard it hurt. This concerned me, until I realized that when I pushed on my right foot REALLY hard it also hurt. In fact, I discovered that if you push hard enough, you can pretty much make anything hurt.
I decided to take my poor foot out for a test run on Tuesday. I was really scared. What if I injured it more? What if I couldn’t run the marathon? But my fear of losing running fitness over the next three weeks was even stronger. I went for the test run. I started slowly. After a mile of warm-up I sped up to my marathon pace for four miles and then cooled down with an easy mile. No pain. I couldn’t believe it. I took off my shoe and pushed really hard on my foot. It hurt. Then I remembered what I had learned the day before. Could it be true? Maybe I didn’t have a stress fracture. Maybe I was actually going to be ok.
On Wednesday I did another hour on the bike (just to be sure). On Thursday I did an easy five-miler. While I was running I felt an excruciating pain in my left toe. Oh no! I did have a stress fracture. I stopped running, pulled my shoe and sock off, and noticed that I had a sharp toenail digging into the adjacent toe. I clipped it, and started the run again. No pain! Yes!
The next morning I had another panic attack. While we were packing for our Aspen trip I felt a strange pain in my left foot, kind of like a cramping. I pushed really hard on my foot. It hurt. How could this be? I do have a stress fracture. I immediately made the phone call I had been putting off all week. I called the orthopedist and made an appointment for the day we would be getting back from Aspen, more than a week away.
All day Friday I was in a really crabby mood. All I could think about was my foot. It seemed to hurt the entire way to Aspen. I took my shoe off while I was driving and pushed on it really hard. It hurt. Rob had to tell me to stop it. He said I was probably causing the pain by pushing on it really hard. Hmmm. Doctors!
I made up my mind to stop thinking about it. By Friday night it felt completely better. I decided to cut my 15-mile run scheduled for the next day down to 12. I went to the Aspen recreation center to do it. I told myself that if it hurt at all I would get off the treadmill and do a two-hour pool run.
I started to run. No pain. I kept running. No pain. I finished. No pain. I went back to the condo. No pain. I walked around town all day. No pain. I woke up this morning. No pain. I walked around town all day. No pain. Could it be?? Maybe I don’t have a stress fracture after all. I can’t imagine being able to run 12 miles on a broken foot without any pain.
So, for the first time in a week and two days, I’m no longer worried about my foot. For the first time in a week and two days I got a really good night’s sleep. And, for the first time in a week and two days, I avoided pushing on my foot REALLY hard. Guess what? No pain.
The last nine days were really rough, but in a way it was good for me. I think it made me appreciate the effort I’ve put in over the last few months even more. I think it made me even more excited for the race on November 5th (and I was already pretty darn excited).
So that’s the story (I know…the long and drawn out one). Hopefully, I’ll be fine until marathon day. A lot of marathoners talk about the phantom pains that often develop during the taper. Now I’m a true believer. I’ll hopefully be feeling good enough to write another few posts before the marathon, but for now I’ve gotta go push on my foot REALLY hard. Ouch.

No comments:
Post a Comment